The Israel Innovation Authority, responsible for the country’s innovation policy, is an independent and impartial public entity that operates for the benefit of the Israeli innovation ecosystem and Israeli economy as a whole.
Its role is to nurture and develop Israeli innovation resources, while creating and strengthening the infrastructure and framework needed to support the entire knowledge industry.
As such, the Israel Innovation Authority advises the government and Parliament ("Knesset") committees regarding innovation policy in Israel and furthermore monitors and analyzes the dynamic changes taking place throughout the innovation environments in Israel and abroad. The Authority creates cooperation with counterpart agencies to promote technological innovation in the Israeli industry and economy.
Innovation is by far the most valuable resource for the State of Israel, serving as a national asset crucial to economic prosperity. Strengthening the innovation ecosystem is the mission of the Israel Innovation Authority, which seeks to further develop and support technological innovation in Israel through various support tools.
The Israel Innovation Authority provides a variety of practical tools and funding platforms aimed at addressing the dynamic and changing needs of the local and international innovation ecosystems.
With deep knowledge and understanding of the unique challenges facing the Israeli companies and entrepreneurs, the tools and programs offered by the Authority are based on the specific stage and needs of the company. This includes programs for early stage entrepreneurs, mature companies developing new products or manufacturing processes, academic groups seeking to transfer their ideas to the market, multinational corporations interested in Israeli technology, Israeli companies seeking new markets abroad, and traditional factories and plants seeking to incorporate innovative and advanced manufacturing into their businesses.
The Authority's vision is to create economic prosperity through innovation.
This vision is divided into two complementary goals: maintaining Israel's position at the forefront of global innovation and elevating the entire economy through technological innovation. This vision is the only business plan relevant to the Israeli economy, which is relatively small and far from major markets. Despite these drawbacks, Israel enjoys a vibrant entrepreneurial culture, strong technological infrastructure and highly skilled human capital, allowing it to grow on the basis of innovation.
Objectives and functions:
- Responsibility for developing the innovation infrastructure in Israel: Developing the hi-tech industry, while utilizing and expanding the existing technological and scientific infrastructure and human resources in Israel.
- Maintaining Israel's international status as the “Startup Nation”: Creating jobs in the industry and incorporating scientific and technological personnel, as well as creating returns for the economy and encouraging growth.
- Distribution of grants and financial support for innovative-technological R&D: Increasing productivity and promoting technological innovation across all of Israel's industrial sectors, as well as improving Israel’s economic status through production and export of R&D intensive hi-tech products
- Connecting the Israeli economy with the global innovation industry: Initiating and establishing international agreements with countries and multinational corporations to advance the goals of the R&D Law relating to international cooperation inn R&D and innovation.
- Promoting and encouraging programs, policies, laws and government reforms, as well as promoting major moves with public and private collaboration.
The Israel Innovation Authority's structure:
In order to achieve the above-mentioned objectives, the Israel Innovation Authority has adopted an internal structure designed to enable: task and client orientation, concentration of knowledge and tools under a single entity, enlargement of the offered toolbox, and expansion of the scope of activities beyond R&D. This strategic approach is advanced through a number of innovation divisions each focused on a specific target audience, for the purpose of developing and delivering dedicated solutions to their associated challenges.
For the benefit of entrepreneurs and stakeholders in the hi-tech industry: The Israel Innovation Authority has set up an advanced array of active innovation divisions that concentrate on providing optimal solutions to a variety of changing needs. The innovation divisions offer comprehensive solutions to the demands of the innovation ecosystem in Israel.
The innovation divisions include:
These divisions pave a variety of customized paths for entrepreneurs and companies to promote, implement and realize their innovative R&D ideas at various stages.