The Israel Innovation Authority, formerly known as the Office of the Chief Scientist of the Ministry of Economy (& MATIMOP), which is responsible for the country’s innovation policy, is an independent and impartial public entity that operates for the benefit of the Israeli innovation ecosystem and Israeli economy as a whole.
Its role is to nurture and develop Israeli innovation resources, while creating and strengthening the infrastructure and framework needed to support the entire knowledge industry.
As such, the Israel Innovation Authority advises the government and Parliament ("Knesset") committees regarding innovation policy in Israel and furthermore monitors and analyzes the dynamic changes taking place throughout the innovation environments in Israel and abroad. The Authority creates cooperation with counterpart agencies to promote technological innovation in the Israeli industry and economy.
An innovation ecosystem is a complex economic system that changes very rapidly. In order to serve our clients in the best possible way, we constantly strive to adapt our support tools to the changing demands and challenges of the hi-tech industry in Israel. Accordingly, we design and operate a variety of dedicated programs for private sector companies, promoting unique initiatives that translate policy into practical tools for the industry. This ensures the continuous development of the Authority's operational scope, along with the expansion and strengthening of technological research and development in Israel.
The Authority's vision is to create economic prosperity through innovation.
This vision is divided into two complementary goals: maintaining Israel's position at the forefront of global innovation and elevating the entire economy through technological innovation. This vision is the only business plan relevant to the Israeli economy, which is relatively small and far from major markets. Despite these drawbacks, Israel enjoys a vibrant entrepreneurial culture, strong technological infrastructure and highly skilled human capital, allowing it to grow on the basis of innovation.
Objectives and functions:
- Responsibility for developing the innovation infrastructure in Israel: Developing the hi-tech industry, while utilizing and expanding the existing technological and scientific infrastructure and human resources in Israel.
- Maintaining Israel's international status as the “Startup Nation”: Creating jobs in the industry and incorporating scientific and technological personnel, as well as creating returns for the economy and encouraging growth.
- Distribution of grants and financial support for innovative-technological R&D: Increasing productivity and promoting technological innovation across all of Israel's industrial sectors, as well as improving Israel’s economic status through production and export of R&D intensive hi-tech products
- Connecting the Israeli economy with the global innovation industry: Initiating and establishing international agreements with countries and multinational corporations to advance the goals of the R&D Law relating to international cooperation inn R&D and innovation.
- Promoting and encouraging programs, policies, laws and government reforms, as well as promoting major moves with public and private collaboration.
The Israel Innovation Authority's structure:
In order to achieve the above-mentioned objectives, the Israel Innovation Authority has adopted an internal structure designed to enable: task and client orientation, concentration of knowledge and tools under a single entity, enlargement of the offered toolbox, and expansion of the scope of activities beyond R&D. This strategic approach is advanced through a number of innovation divisions each focused on a specific target audience, for the purpose of developing and delivering dedicated solutions to their associated challenges.
For the benefit of entrepreneurs and stakeholders in the hi-tech industry: The Israel Innovation Authority has set up an advanced array of active innovation divisions that concentrate on providing optimal solutions to a variety of changing needs. The innovation divisions offer comprehensive solutions to the demands of the innovation ecosystem in Israel.
The innovation divisions include:
These divisions pave a variety of customized paths for entrepreneurs and companies to promote, implement and realize their innovative R&D ideas at various stages.